Thursday 16 July 2020

Swete Bag Analysis: Grapes

16th July 2020

Ok so this plump little thing is not stuffed and it’s not made in a frame, but in the hand.

My first attempt was using one strand of silk and one strand of gold thread by DMC. It proved very unsatisfactory as the threads locked together and although it looked more like chain mail than anything else, it was unworkable and rigid.

From this experiment I’ve been able to deduce that the silk always has to be a fair bit thicker than the gold strand and not very twisted. In fact, as it twists while you work, you have to untwist it, or else it becomes very knotted.

I don’t think I’m living in the real world anymore, I’m in the grip, once again, of the bag and it’s secrets...

I’m using Google ‘Goggles’ to find bits and bobs more often now, as it’s really very good.
I’m trying to identify all the flowers on the bag. Well, in my search ‘Goggles’ threw up The Devereux Bodice and I was totally carried away!

The bodice is mentioned in various historical accounts and I knew about its provenance.
I’m going to actually go as far as to say that I think this bag and that bodice were made around the same time.

It’s fascinating to see how much more money was spent on producing the bodice though!
I’ve decided when I’m done with the bag, I’m going to work out some of the secrets of the bodice...

Devereux Bodice

Now what to do with all this acquired knowledge and insight?...methinks I shall produce either a kit or a pattern or something.

Anyone that knows me, knows I love puzzles and brain teasers, and working out how they made very complicate motifs is fascinating for me.

There is a cornflower on the bodice that retains it black thread.  Sensational!
Also note on the back of the bodice the linen that was used then.

One thing is for sure, determination, patience and a sense of adventure is all you need to travel, far far back in time.

The bag is my teacher and my talisman!

No comments:

Post a Comment