Thursday 30 July 2020

Got some goodies..


Update 30/07/2020


I came across some great links recently.  This quick sketch is of a goldwork dog in one the links.  I’m very interested in animals that are sewn using raised Stem Stitch.

You see this piece pinned many times, so I followed it back to the original poster.

I think the sketch could work as the template for recreating the dog that appears at the bottom of the image, his right hind leg needs to extend further to the left though.

His muzzle is particularly effective, it looks so lifelike!

I think ‘Benji’ here could be worked using a combination of card, wadding bound in careful netting stitches and felt.  Already have the wadding!



I reckon a motif like this is 60% preparation.

On his own, I think  Benji looks better with a bushy tail, but I think he has a small tail as part of the design within this ferocious group tearing into some kind of serpent thing there.  Must say the serpent looks very chilled considering he’s lunch.

The motif is part of a  French ceremonial sword baldric.  You can see that amazing item on the next page if you press the forward or back arrow on there, not sure which.

My eyes are a bit sore from Split Stitch analysis, so thought I would include some links of great information.


medieval embroidery


Goldwork fighting dogs


Opus Anglicanum YouTube


How to sew a medieval kirtle


Celtic Art Lecture

Celtic Gold Cape


Celtic Art


Medieval Art Good round up

1 comment: