Wednesday 22 July 2020

Quick bit of underside couching

After digging out a few books on motifs and underside couching I did a quick diagram of where I wanted what.  Figured one strand of this very fine gold thread wasn’t going to solve my problem, so I opted for three.  You lay them across, thread your couching needle and off you go.  There’s a good video on YouTube by Sarah Humphrey about how to do it.  Not having attempted it before, I took a big risk just diving in there and filling the tail fin.
Verdict on underside couching: very very addictive!



Darling foil is holding out.  Couple of gaps have appeared but nothing has gone AWOL.
I’ll fill any gaps with fresh foil, finish the couching, sort out the fish heads and get all sea sick again...

Seriously, I feel it’s going Ok.  By that I mean, what I see in my head is finally coming through the piece.  I know what I’m after, put it like that.

The nice surprise is, it’s much more intricate than I first thought it would end up. Why does this always happen to me? But hey, I think it’s great that it does. I mean what you see, what you’re exposed to, what you think about...it all comes out in the work.  That’s how it should be, to make progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment