Monday 27 July 2020

Historical Split Sttich

I spent another really intense two hours on this conundrum.  You could say why should someone like me think they could ever suss out how they made those tiny faces?  Well, for starters I’ve got 20:20 vision in one eye, added to which I’m fixated on puzzles, and thirdly I really do believe ‘to copy is to understand’.

So I’ve made a breakthrough after a long time of almost giving up.

I mean the thing is this, when you try to reproduce very small stitches, with very small stitches and the thing STILL does not look the same as the blown up photo you’re studying, it’s so easy to just stop and give up and accept the received wisdom of others.

But a long time ago I realised I don’t give up. I just keep going until I think I’ve cracked it.
You might not think I’ve cracked it. But it’s what my eye tells me that counts, and this one eye reckons I’ve made a breakthrough.

I will add, I don’t think I could have done it without, exhaustion, serendipity and having actually seen Opus Anglicanum vestments in the duomo in Florence.

I’m too tired to post anymore. 

I don’t care that no one comments on here or even that I’ve been ex-communicated from certain places.  I will keep trying to improve my needlework and expand my vocabulary of stitches by wrestling with the past and this 20 20 eye of mine.

Let’s not forget, I’m the only person on the internet aka the world that has produced a video on Mrs Christie’s version of Plaited Braid Stitch.  Granted, she was wrong and I followed a hypothesis.  But hey, what happened after that? The world woke up to having to thrash it out with Plaited Braid Stitch.
And are we better off now, thanks to Leon Conrad and Jacqui Carey, I should think we jolly well are.

So, there you have it....we will all keep trying and in so doing perhaps attain Grace

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth,
    I agree with you. Having seen the V&A exhibit on Opus Anglicanum, I was amazed at how tiny the split stitches were and why the modern attempts look so clumsy in comparison. On the modern ones you see every stitch and on the antique pieces you see a face. I would love to try Opus Anglicanum but have been put off by this very thing. Did the nuns have finer thread and needles or was it the technique?
    Thank you for your research and videos. From your trellis stitch videos I learned that the reverse effect of a stitch can be produced from the front. It made no sense to me that a workshop working with expensive materials would do a piece in trellis stitch and then flip it over and use the back for the effect wanted - too many possible mistakes. I was able to recreate a snail on a panel in the Metropolitan Museum of Art which I love. Please keep up your work. Thank you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete