Tuesday 14 July 2020

Swete Bag Analysis 15th July 2020

I sat for quite a long time measuring and comparing shape, stitch size and construction methods for spherical shapes on the bag.

I was stuck, but I was also pretty sure the answer was in front of me, and decided I needed to look harder.  As my eyes grew tired and as they began to wander....I found it!

In the bottom section of the bag, there is a gathered edge on a tiny leaf made of DBH.  The angle that the edge of the leaf takes reveals how the grapes were made.

Once I realised how the  grapes were constructed, I set about working out how the peas were made.

The peas, in contrast have surprisingly large stitches but form the same essential mesh as the grapes.
The peas also have no metallic thread and so would be naturally more pliable.

The next question I asked myself was: why are the stitches so big?

It should also be noted, the peas are not perfect spheres, but actually quite square-shaped?

After careful reproduction using two different methods, I managed to work it out.

In my humble submission, I cracked it!


Now I shall move onto making grapes. (Edited 15/07/20)

But first I have to work on the fish scales of the mermaid’s tail.
I think I’ll also give her a peplum...


No comments:

Post a Comment