Tuesday 21 July 2020

Devereux Bodice - Honeysuckle experiment 3

Experiment 3



Okay, so here it is.
This is the third version where I realised I needed to keep the Viking Knit on the wooden former if the gold stem stitches were going to remain uniform.

As the tassels on Swete Bags were made on wooden formers, I think it was pretty obvious I should adopt that method.

I must say the whole thing was very stable and logical way of working.

The shape I’m after is more like this, experiment 2, where you can see the gold thread went all over the place and proved very unsatisfactory.



Turks Head Knot


Looking at the tassel formers again, I went back to my Turks Head file, pulled out my notes and can I say, it’s really quite frustrating that there are so many instructions for Celtic knots that don’t state the obvious in line one: “you must start with a ‘P & Q’”.
In fact in my view, the saying ‘mind your Ps and Qs’ probably must originate from the days when everyone was busily making these knots to secure bits and bobs together.
Remember people, you can make a whole pile of stuff with Turks Head knot, like all of these...


Yes, Plaited Braid Stitch too, starts with a humble Turks Head Knot.  If you ask me, that’s why the stitch baffled us for so long, we are simply out of touch with our knot heritage.  Since before the Bronze Age we’ve been making elaborate knots in our hair, baskets, fishing nets, clothes etc.
Remember people, humans have been wearing clothes’ for 170,000 years!  See BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment