Saturday 1 August 2020

WIP. update & other bits and bobs

I think I’ve made a quantum leap in my analysis of Opus Anglicanum.  I need a bit more time to put it all together and make a little replica face. If I’m wrong, (which I think is doubtful) then so be it. If I’m right, so be it.  As I said before, if two high definition photos side by side don’t match, then, they are not the same, simple as that.

I did a body of work on this topic about three years ago and recently found the folder where I’d kept the notes.  It’s a good idea when working on difficult ‘puzzles’ to leave leave it alone for a while and just put it to the back of your mind.  After all, we’re not working out how to make a machine, we’re unravelling the work of human hands.  The clergy had a lot of trade secrets but they still had only humans in those workshops.  I suppose ‘it’s a process of elimination‘ but that sounds so corny now....you know what I mean anyway?

Once the museums are open again in London, I’m going off to get more evidence myself, because one might argue that to reach my observations I had only three images by the same workshop on the single item.  I don’t think that’s a negative factor, because we are talking about the same workshop, near St Paul’s in London.  What’s particularly interesting to note about London is that all the main big hospital sites were once monasteries in pre-reformation days.

I think the St Thomas’ hospital site is particularly old.

However, it is possible it was only renamed in 1173 and that there was an infirmary at the priory when it was founded at Southwark in 1106.[3][2] (Wikipedia)

St Thomas Hospital


Ok so here’s a jolly video :

Tanya Bentham Medieval Embroidery Course

I really enjoy the speed at which the video runs and the creative space itself.  It’s a real ‘workshop’, busy busy busy...the music is so inspiring.  Every time I watch it, I get in the mood to work...

Back to the ‘Mermaid‘ and I’m all at sea again. But this time I’m actually enjoying the voyage...This next part of the waves I’m overlapping of one wave onto another, is a lot of fun and gives me the opportunity to create drama.

Notice how the Stem Stitches stack up together when worked in tight rows, to create firm, flat areas with all-important contours....

In art theory what they keep telling you is “the mark should describe the form”.

I think I’m going to bring in some more bits and bobs about London on this blog, because I was about to do some research just before the ‘Thing’ happened.  Can I just say, it’s a very weird place and I’ve always felt lost there.  The very old parts are particularly ‘weird’.  Make of that what you will.

P.S. The 1948 version of Joan of Arc is on iPlayer.  Ingrid Bergman is sensational as Joan and I did shed a tear. Joan was 19, illiterate and a very brave warrior.  She was canonised in 1920.  I think the fighting scenes in that film are really convincing.  Joan would make a good image to sew...

No comments:

Post a Comment