Monday 17 August 2020

Top section mermaid design decision

Update 17/08/20


Sun, sky, border and stitches have been decided. The two triangle templates will be sewn as separate slips in gold.  Not sure what colour couching thread yet, but that won’t take a long time to decide.

I decided I need to come forward now and bring the border out in relief. The highest surface point will be the border, then everything goes back into the image. My only concern is the rays of the sun will have two planes to transverse, so they will need to be added slips too that taper down with direct sewing, or bordered cord...?

I’m still leaving the face alone, because even though the eye is too heavy, it might not be at the end, when balanced against heavier elements e.g. the sun, fish scales and a pearl necklace and bracelet.  We’ll see.

P.S. It’s brightening up again now and the tiny birds are back at last.  I’ve surmounted my backlog in the day job and been reading about the Scythian culture from The Steppes. There was an exhibition about three years ago about this Russian tribe but I missed it.  It doesn’t matter too much, because there is a ton of stuff around now about them, as Russia has opened up.  I’m particularly interested in the Scythian zoomorphic art in gold.  They lived in Russia but were originally Iranian.  They were marshals of the Silk Road and invented these really powerful bows that contained sinew.
Scythian Art

No comments:

Post a Comment