Sunday 2 August 2020


Thrown in the deep end...

Oh dear me, I’m in big trouble.  I wasn’t thrown, I jumped!

I gave the Mermaid an ‘OA mini-face’ and it proved to be not the thing to do...

It took me quite a while to realise why it didn’t work.
Finally, I worked out it was because the mermaid is depicted in profile, whereas the OA code book, was very carefully adapted to faces in three-quarter profile.

Full profile presents us with various design problems, such as noses that need to be seen from a distance and so might end up a little large.  Then there’s the problem of half a mouth, which means a lack of expression.   Lastly, faces in profile appear very flat.  OE artists were fully aware of these problems and that’s why their figures are always three quarter profile.

I tried for some considerable time to fix my problems.  It was only when I took a step back did I notice what the real problem was, as above.

In unpicking the 200 odd minuscule stitches of OA Split Stitch, I learned something very valuable.  It just wouldn’t come off the fabric....very, very interesting...

Thought I’d use this post to quantify the work load for when I do a mini face.

Young Angel 
Forehead (widest part) = 26 stitches
Nose width =  9 stitches
Top lip = 3 to side of mouth, diagonal
Nostril to lip = 5 stitches
Hair right side temple to chin = 20 stitches
Side of nose to hair = 15 stitches
Lips = 9 across
3 down
Iris = 5 long stitches


Anyway, to soothe my furrowed brow, I’ll listen to this Early Music.  These ppl are really good, they combine Italian, Arabic, Spanish and Jewish influences, as was around during that time in Southern Spain.

Forma Antiqva

I altered a work bag and did some flat felled seams with a herringbone top stitch.  Flat felling is very addictive.  I also did some Pearl Stitch on the outside, just to reinforce the base. Pearl stitch is a very strong buttonhole variation.




1 comment:

  1. What do you mean OA mini face, OA book, OA split stitch and OE artists?

    ReplyDelete