Saturday 18 June 2022

Faux patina bedside table with lion’s paw legs - stage 3

 No time for many words today….Ok so I used a wallpaper knife to trim down the very stiff excess edges all around the item.  This is very easy to do as long as you hold the blade at 45 degrees to the edge and  use the edge as the guide.  It’s a lot of fun doing that part, but needs practice on the back first.

I made a template  with my tri-square for my drill holes, as it saves so much time.  As you can see in the picture below, I didn’t remove the original handles, I simply turned the drawers round and used their reverse.

The legs and the handles that I chose for the piece (pictures next time) cost me about £20.  The original drawers cost me £11 at IKEA.  I left the product code label on in case anyone wants to try to source them).

I decoupaged (PVA glue to drawer, then over image while all still wet) this vintage map that I bought on Amazon (link provided next time) in sequential order, so I can jumble the drawers or have them look like a proper map depending on mood.  I think this way whatever people say, I am ready for them…

For all decoupage and wallpapering you need to smooth the surface down after glueing.  For the decoupage I sized the image first with a thick layer of glue that I then wiped off with a soft cloth, waited two minutes and panted over it again with a proper first layer of glue.  I find this creates a very smooth surface to leave to dry.  Creases and quasi bubbles do reappear whilst drying, but you shouldn’t touch those, as they will smooth out in the later phases of drying, 

I don’t think I will glue anymore layers, but will polyurethane varnish ( water based so it’s labelled ‘Quick Dry) as I love the results with that product, as the item will be chip and scratch proof.  As I did for the recent cake table (see last post), where in the end I varnished it 3 times.  You can varnish so quickly if you maintain a wet edge and use a very soft brush.  Can I say, I also did a light sanding before each varnish layer.








No comments:

Post a Comment