Monday 6 June 2022

Celtic dog update 2

 Here is the next instalment and the original design that I flipped. 

The colours I decided on were inspired by The Book of Kells.

I’d like to draw your attention to the two areas of solid filling worked in opposing directions, where you can clearly see how densely the stitches stack up and create a very flat surface that reflects a sheen, or light, even with the very cheap cotton I’m using.  Also, I’m noticing that if you work in one direction the stitches look more like mini chain stitch, but if you work in both directions, as they did back in the day, the stitches look more like split stitch and stack up even more densely.

The work takes a long time because each stitch covers 3 strands of ground fabric.  Sharp points, curves and straight lines can all be worked easily.  For the dog’s paws I had to go into the previous stitch, instead of the end of it, to create even tighter curves, which is also something I picked up from staring at Opus Anglicanum work in close up for a long time.

The black outline is a guide only, I’m still working out if I want that to be more apparent in the end?  

I seriously underestimated how long this piece would take and had hoped to finish it for the Diamond Jubilee, as the first kings of England were Welsh.

Remember ppl, it took three women 25 years to complete a set of vestments for the Pope back in the day….

I’m working in sections now, instead of long lines, as a way of seeing faster progress but it’s not as hypnotic to work as the previous way of working.  What I will say though, is that even though it takes a long time, it’s very very addictive - so be warned!

My personal view is this stitch most likely came to England via Byzantium religious textiles and not from secular French purses.  

Apologies if the photo’s aren’t clearer, my hands are a little unsteady due to painting my front door and sledge hammering about 12 tree stumps the last two weeks.  I’m so pleased both those arduous tasks are finito.




No comments:

Post a Comment