Monday 7 December 2020

Desk finished, now working on chair

 Hey ppl, outside there is freezing fog today.

I managed to finish the desk, but not after a last minute go to moment of sanding and refinishing the desk top.

The polyurethane water based varnish I used reacted with that wonderful colour I’d achieved, so much so that the patina looked like it had been subjected to 20 years of nicotine.  I had moved the desk back into the bedroom and immediately I just couldn’t live with the results the varnish had caused.  The desk was basically 30 shades darker....what!

So I hauled it back downstairs (it weighs a ton) and went at it for 10 mins with my trusty sander, then repainted it much lighter. 24 hours later I did the same and 24 hours after that, I applied the same varnish, but this time watered down by 25%.  It says on the tin not to do that, but I had a further trick up my sleeve.

I then grabbed a fan heater, set it to hot, closed the door and maxed out the dying time of the varnish to about 05 mins.  Went in, exchanged the air and then did the same again.  

I didn’t have time to reassemble the desk, so set to work on the chair. I’ll show pictures of the chair next time, because the seat is reupholstered and the primer is done, but I’m still working out the design of the back rest, I’ve decided I want buttons...what have I let myself in for....?

So here’s the ‘seaside’ themed desk....



I used Zinsser BIN for the primer coat to block out the woodstain and finished with latex eggshell.  There are no splinters anywhere now, or dark bits.  I used wall paint Matt on the drawer fronts and finished with polyurethane varnish again, they’re very nice and satiny now.  I like to look at Matt, but in a situation where you have to interact with it, it has to be Matt varnished too.  I could have used latex satin, but the way I did it, it’s even more durable.  The blue is darker now as a result but the room it’s going in is pretty dark, so it’s toned down up there. 

Stay busy people, it will get us through...


No comments:

Post a Comment