Wednesday 9 December 2020

Diamond tufting chair back

 Oh wow, another challenge for time-poor headless chicken.

So diamond tufting is an exact science. It needs a grid, it maths, it needs rulers and all kinds of things that make you want to knit instead.

So, I worked on my design from the inside out, being a bit different and very fussy.

I figured the centre of the chair back needs to have a diamond right in the middle.  If that diamond is not where it should be, the whole thing will be horrid.

So I drew out my first rhombus, two acute angles and two obtuse angles, in proportion to the thickness of the foam.  2 inches, that’s the only maths I’ll touch.  I’m an artisan through and through.

So here’s the design...


Ok, so you can see the central diamond is cut out and stuck to the middle of the chair back rest template.

Now all I have to do is drill holes into the pink dots.

The template took 10 minutes to draw up, what took forever was driving to the store for the self cover buttons.  The traffic was very congested and anyway, that’s done, so tomorrow I shall start drilling.  

I had to order the tacks from an online retailer, they’re not here yet, so only the holes can be done tomorrow.

I cut the foam for the seat with an electric knife I borrowed from my parents.  It went through the foam like frozen butter.

Here is the seat...


Yes, it’s pink fun fur with gold highlights. I doubled the fabric and used the staple gun, as you would tack down a canvas for a painting.  The front of the seat has a dip and consequently looks like buttocks.  This was not planned for, obviously and I’m hoping the tacks I bought are going to be good, because if they are I shall tack round the seat too and hopefully that way the buttocks suggestion will fade out (?).

Stay sane,, gotta go xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment