Tuesday 13 October 2020

Light relief

 

Sometimes I want not to have to think.  So yesterday’s blanched piece received some colour.  I wasn’t working from an image or even a fixed memory, I was just drifting...  Looks a little bit like a Jehovah’s Witness Lighthouse magazine cover, you know what I mean.  There’s quite a bit of heaven in there, kind of thing... especially where for half the image I decided to preserve the lightest area in a dome shape.

Then I saw something interesting 


Then I thought about this


Then chopped off the part that didn’t work as well and ended up with this...


I don’t know if I killed it or sorted it out.  Sometimes that happens, where I just don’t know for days or months, even years, if I did the right thing?  Then I have to go over why I did it, and ask myself if I would make the same choices again.  Only because I tend to work quickly, sometimes very quickly and the decisions I’m making seem, sometimes, like isolated sounds, rather than connected thoughts...

Or even conversely ‘sounds’ that are too connected, unwittingly to harboured preconceptions, which is a danger all the time. You want the created item to conform, because it’s all within a theme or context, but crucially you don’t want it to look like it’s in a cage.  That’s the essential difference between unique and mass produced, if you ask me.

I’ve got so many things that are abandoned for these very reasons, because to me, at the time, they were not good enough.  Then, ages later I see them and think, that’s wasn’t so bad after all.

Thankfully it’s usually only an overnight chance I need to reassess things.  Because after all, you can get so close to the things you create, that in the end you can’t see them anymore, because all they represent is 96 different decisions you had to make and each one was possibly a make or break type of ordeal.

My only complaint now is: is it too happy?

While researching the life and work of Jeff Beck, for my short story about him and CH (see earlier posts), I came across this truly amazing piece of live recording 

Jonny Depp and Jeff Beck’s cover of John Lennon’s Isolation


No comments:

Post a Comment