Thursday 17 June 2021

Rococo table 6

 Hi everyone,

I must admit I have been a little distracted by the gorgeous weather and just how many coats of paint you can apply when working outside.

The other thing that happened was I had a massive, really massive tidy up.  It did me good to find old favourites and become enthused by materials that I stashed with good intentions but neglected ever since.  Then something happened to me, where suddenly a lot of ‘stuff’ that was languishing appeared to me like shimmering oases in the desert, whereby I could see the finished item, at long last.

So after that I took on more and more stuff, boxes, paints, tools everywhere... I’m pleased to say quite a few things have been sorted out.

Ok, so the table is basically finished design-wise.  See photos below.   I painstakingly cut out 11 shells in thin card to paint....you guessed it: gold.  I used my Fiskars knife, which is a wicked little tool and makes me want to make more of these things.  The area between the two circular designs worries me a little, but if I think it needs a bit more work, I’ll just cut out more decoupage characters and stick them on... I have a lot of them!  Painting the finished table with a coat of satin varnish will be interesting, but I’ll use hairspray as a fixative first on the images and hopefully there won’t be any colour runs...




I took the table apart to tidy up the legs and made a third arm to rest them on while drying.


Then I covered a heart shaped box, it’s actually quite large but so lovely to glimpse in a stuffed cupboard.  It’s a gift.  Completing the lid gave me a whole stack of ideas for seascapes and golden sunsets etc.  



The great thing about crepe papering the top was it makes the paper much more durable.  I covered it horizontally because the pink paper which is divine had to be used the same way because I only had one sheet.  The paper looks like embroidered fabric, which is so adorable p.  It cost £2.50 a sheet about 10 years ago from Athena.

Then I painted another box with Rustoleum Pearlescent spray paint, over eggshell. I don’t have a picture of that, but in amongst it all I did an automatic colour drawing of a person that popped into my head.


Then I painted another box with a rose stencil or stamper, again by Rustoleum and decorated yet another box that was housing paints.



No comments:

Post a Comment