Tuesday 2 August 2022

Mini chest in situ

 

Hello friends 

I cold welded the legs onto the chest with a 2mm layer of cold welding J B Weld an American product that I cannot stop raving about since I fixed my 20 year old ironing board.

Ok so In the real world, you know that awful place with traffic jams, queues and bad hair days, the powers that be have decided that I need to launch myself as a commercial artist….  What do you say to that?  The terror of the blank canvas is an understatement for starters, then on top I have so many other things on the go.  But, and it’s a big but, the cogs have been turning on this topic for some time now and I’m gradually working larger and more 3-d.  There are other challenges too, but they are drivers, rather than detractors.  But the main thing is, that being creative and finding new ways to get things done is the best kind of freedom, IMO.

So my head is currently in about fifth gear with what I was thinking about in the background that now needs to be given more life.

So I’m working on the second mini-chest now and have been turning ideas over in sketchbooks etc for about a month.  The heatwave we’ve been having with no air con in the house has slowed things down.

I know I want to laminate collage again if I don’t use oil paints but on the other hand chest 2 could end up with flat oils, I don’t know yet because I need to make samples and see which I’m most happy with.

Because basically I employ myself and I’m not always sure how well I can do something but will have a go at virtually anything, within bounds.  I can see the mini chest in my head and I can turn it around and change it, but then the reality has to match it or beat it.  If cannot do either and it ends up a disaster, you find even a disaster can offer up some hope or hint at a solution. Like when my ironing board collapsed under the heaving pile of domestic bliss, little did I know then that cold welding would springboard me into the world of furniture upcycling!  

Oh well I have to go now….

P.S. The Celtic dog needs a background now of laid silver thread.  The mermaid needs a new head to be stuck on, so that piece will need to be more 3-d, which is good because the sun and sky could be a lot of fun that way.  I’ve been alternating lots of my clothes because I wanted to save money, but when other family members found out what I was doing, they started giving me their things too!,  I was knitting a beautiful French jacket for myself, well that’s on hold too.  I would like to paint my shed, but think I will only manage the sleepers around about.  The Path I planted up is looking good but involved a lot of watering this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment