Tuesday 10 November 2009

more about single uncorded back and forth detached buttonhole

Here you can just see it starting to curl. Its only attached to the fabric at the base. This is what I call really 'detached'. The bag that I'm obsessed with has lots of these types of structures. I've tried them in Trellis stitch and although they are very stable, as say petals, leaves etc, I had to find another way of making more delicate petals. After quite a long time, it looks like I've done it.
And here is the reason why I was so obsessed with getting the closed form of single detached Brussels stitch right.
Here's another good close-up of how to achieve the important strong diagonals that ensure your work wont go all over the place.
Basically you must turn the work on the return row, and not just start any old way but start the correct way according to your dominant hand. Left handers must always do buttonhole stitch from right to left, right hander the opposite. The reason for that is that you are working with the direction of the 'S' twist in the thread. That way you ensure your buttonhole edge is nice and rope like.
And so in closed Brussels stitch, you have to turn the work and stick the needle in the same direction or else you go against the 'S' twist thing.
I think I'm going to do another video of this one.
And as far as the migrating diagonal goes, thats easy, you lose it, or bury it on one edge (the right) e.g. decrease, and increase on the opposite edge, by making a stitch of the little anchoring stitch that you made at the end of the row.
This stitch could look really good to show up the veins in two halves of a leaf, say. Thats one thing you dont really see in Elizabethan stuff.
I am really excited because I think that between this stitch and Trellis I will be able to work most of the flora on 'That Bag'.
The easiest to work is of course, corded detached buttonhole, but you can't really string up a straight stitch return row in mid-air, or can you? - need to investigate this idea...
need to post a picture of the flower I stuffed using one direction Trellis stitch with a return row.

3 comments:

  1. Re. your question about doing a totally detached DB return row. . .YES YES you can! You can e-mail me directly if you'd like to exchange details on this.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth Lea, Can you explain how to make the turn at the end of each row when working single uncorded back and forth DBH--the kind that is only attached at the base? Particularly, say, a flower petal where the sides continue straight for a few rows before decreasing into a rounded shape at the tip--the straight parts on the sides in particular.

    Love your tutorials. Thanks for working them out and sharing. There is so little information on these stitches. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Martha and thanks Linda!

    Linda, about your question. I know this post is incomplete in regard to precise procedures. If you care to look further on to my more recent stuff, I pick up the ends of these discoveries in later posts, e.g. Yellow Rose where I show a photo of what that crucial end of row stitch needs to do. Also, if you look at the post about Gold Flower petal, that explains really well the 'anchoring' stitch that you are referring to. I'm so pleased you left a comment about this aspect because I was going to dedicate an entire post to it but decided against it, now I think I will do that post afterall. It's very nice to get feedback from people interested in the same thing. I love it! You can email me if you are still unclear but as I said, I think the answer is further on in the 2010 posts.
    Regards
    beth lea :)

    ReplyDelete