I didn’t sew all the chain stitch foundation rows in the beginning, just the centre and 3 outer rows, then I filled in the gaps with more petals. Here’s a diagram of how the centre should look:
Here is the index finger behind the work...
The rest of the embellishing is just whatever took my fancy really, bit of elastic, bit of Knotted Buttonhole, bit of straight Buttonhole…
Now you might wonder what on earth this thing is doing here, well, this is how the rose centre puzzle started out.
For the second attempt, you can see I kind of gave up and just did some Tent stitches with gold knitting yarn for the centre. The weird thing I made below served to show me I really needed to consolidate my aims but the good thing is that the gold Tent work does manage to cover all the linen well, so that’s another type of flower centre solution up my sleeve…
* Mrs Archibald Christie ‘Stitches & Samplers’ 1920
* The Victoria & Albert Textile Collection – Embroidery in Britain from 1200 to 1750.
03 May 2010 - I'm doing further work on this idea. I'm not happy with the way this trial version turned out. I've also deleted the comment I made about Taxidermy because on further consideration, its not exactly what I meant.
I don't like the look of the rose I made on this post and have considered deleting this post. It looks too much like crochet and that is not what I'm after, at all. I've been doing further experiments and basically I'm aiming for a Hybrid Tea rose but I've ended up with a Cabbage rose. Now this is not a bad thing, because Cabbage roses are Old English roses and I like the way my latest version turned out much more than this one.
Ideally I would like to delete this post, but I think it contains some useful information. I don't like the title either, as it suggests something really modern-looking when that wasn't my aim. Really all this post deals with is the unfurled central cone, a lot of the rest I've recently changed my mind on.