Thursday 28 October 2010

Wrought with the Needle – exhibition

(I’m reinstating this post as I had a great time seeing this show and I hope to blog about it very soon – however, I’m presently working on my next video and pouring over my recent spending spree of very delicious BOOKS!)

For lovers of historical context notes, I should point out that I’ve changed the heading on this blog, if you see up there.  Reasons will be made clearer in the coming weeks…

 

*****THIS EXHIBITION HAS BEEN EXTENDED*****

Thought I would mention this forthcoming exhibition of “Art treasures of English Domestic Embroidery from Elizabeth I to George II” which opens next Monday at Witney Antiques, Oxfordshire, admission free, catalogue £12.00 in UK (they also ship internationally). 

Whitney

Open daily 10.00am to 5.00pm from 18th – 31st October 2010. 

Their address is:

96-100 Corn Street

Witney

OX28 6BU

Tel: 01993 703902

www.witneyantiques.com

 

Looks like its going to be a really good one and as I can no longer obtain my own copy of ‘Twixt Art & Nature’, I plan to pop along.

 

In case I meet any fellow ‘Betty Addicts’ there, as no one knows what I look like, maybe someone will recognise me from my battered gardening knees….. hahaha!  Can you believe I’m running a needlework blog and yet actually walk around in these things?  Oh dear, now that my neighbour has, erm, raised his eyebrows at this eccentric spectacle, I’ve decided to move everything over and set about making some improvement to my favourite gardening trousers that will be REALLY durable this time. 

CIMG4047

 

Mystical Cornwall is still whispering in my ears…

The 15th Century church in St Ives called St Ia has a magnificent font, among other things.  I would have loved a photograph of that.  In case you didn’t know, when the Celts became Christian, their Baptism water was brought up from their ancient pagan holy wells…because the water was considered lucky…

So, I thought I’d show you a postcard of one of St Ia’s wonderful Bench ends instead.  These were restored in 1940 and are typical of 15th Century Cornish carving with its “deep cutting”.

bench end

cya !

No comments:

Post a Comment